Tuesday, July 1, 2008

CSA week 2: holy turnips

CSA week 2 alternate pose

Whoa there, week 2 is here already! This week's produce:
1 head lettuce
6 red onions with tops
6 turnips with greens
1 sm broc
1 large fennel
2 garlic
bag of snow peas
round zuchini (Q-Ball)
2 lbs red new potatoes

During the CSA season Tuesday becomes a day of excitement and shame. Excitement (like Christmas!) for the next week's vegetables, and shame for what has to go into the compost bin this week. (Well it all gets upcycled into happy compost for my home garden. This just in: Bonnie assures me the Tuesday Day of Shame is a thing of the past, this year we are going to cook and eat everything! Stay Tuned...)

We still have one Kohlrabi left to make from last weeks delivery, not bad for a brand new, unfamiliar vegetable. Tonight, we made stir fry and the Kohlrabi turned out perfect: sweet and earthy and a wee bit toothy. I've decided I will try growing that next year in my own garden.

This weeks challenge: 7 turnips! I like turnips, but 7? Stayed tuned for which turnip recipes work out best.

No comments: